If you thought ignorance is bliss, we urge you to rethink. Many a times, people fall prey to severe depression, failing to identify the symptoms at the right time.
How to know if you are depressed? What are the symptoms of depression?
What does depression feel like? Let us take a look at the major signs of depression:
- Persistently sad, hopeless and anxious
- A sense of emptiness, loneliness and guilt
- Feeling worthless and helpless
- Highly irritable
- Feeling exhausted, fatigued and lethargic
- Lack of energy and interest to do daily activities
- Negative thoughts like that of suicide or even suicide attempts
- Lack of sleep or oversleeping
- Lack of appetite or overeating
- Unexplained weight gain or weight loss
- Headache, Back pain or stomachache
What causes depression?
There is no single cause for depression, but a combination of factors attribute to depression:
- The chemical and physical structure of your brain
- Family history – Is depression hereditary? Yes, to an extent!
- Traumatic events like deaths in family, divorce, abuse, financial loss and so on
- History of other mental disorders like post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) and anxiety
- Hormonal changes like pregnancy and menstruation
- Some medications that are used for conditions like insomnia and blood pressure
What are the side effects of depression?
Depression, if left untreated, can have a 360 degree control over your life, negatively affecting several aspects crucial to your well-being!
Can depression affect your body and physical health?
Besides emotional effects, depression can bring about changes in your body as well. People suffering from depression often complain of headaches, nausea, diarrhea, constipation, back pain, inflammations and loss of libido. They are at an increased risk of heart diseases as well!
Can depression cause pain?
Unexplained pains in several parts of the body are part and parcel of depression – headache, back pain, stomach pain, shoulder pain, pain in joints and muscles, breast tenderness being some of the common complaints.
Can depression make you tired?
Depression often makes you totally exhausted, leaving you with little or no energy to indulge in even daily activities.
Can depression cause weight loss?
If you find yourself losing weight without any diet or exercise, you could very well be a victim of depression. Weight gain is yet another side effect of depression!
Can depression affect your relationships?
Definitely, the symptoms of depression can cause strained relationships. Divorce rates are high among couples where at least one partner is affected by depression.
If you feel you or someone dear to you is going through depression, reach out for help at the earliest. Get rid of depression, let the sunshine never go away from your precious life.